Thursday, July 31, 2008

summer love:: thunderstorms


there is hardly anything better than a late afternoon summer thunderstorm. they both frighten and excite me. i relish the sense of impending doom that accompanies the rolling of thunder. the longer the build-up, the better.

as a child they frightened me very badly. enough so that my parents started a ritual for middle-of-the-night storms. we would all get out of bed and go outside to watch them from the porch. as a child, i must have believed that everyone did this. only as an adult do i fully understand the magnitude of their devotion to my sister and i. getting up in the middle of the night to sit outside just to show your daughters that nature is awesome and beautiful instead of scary? that's love.

thanks mom and dad.

as i sit here listening to a glorious thunderstorm slowly rumble in, i think of how fortunate i am to have a shelter over my head that allows me to rejoice in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is great to have a strong shelter over your head, not like a tent. I wonder if G & G took our Dads out on the porch during the storms. My Dad did the same thing for us when we were little. I guess I have decided that a thunder storm is just another one of Gods small wonders that he gave us to experience life with. I am trying very hard not to be afraid.

~Gina

Elizabeth Switzer said...

A page out of my own book. I adore a thunderstorm on a summer's night. I'll get up to go sit on the porch and watch one. I remember being caught out in a barn at a friend's house late a night as a storm raged. It was amazing, some of my best moments.

I really love the rain. Something about it makes me want to cozy up with some hot tea, a blanket and have some cookies baking while i sit in awe.

I like to imagine its cleansing my own soul as it cleanses the earth.