Monday, January 4, 2010

Warmth

New Year's Eve. This year, it was perfect. It was an evening filled with family, long-time friends, and new friends. It was also my 35th birthday. I walked into my sister's downtown apartment to find streamers and decorations hung in my honor. We stood at her vast windows overlooking the river and watched the fireworks from the comfort and warmth of the couch. We ate good food, had great conversation and many, many laughs. After the craziness that was the month of December, having an evening to sit and simply get to know one another was fantastic beyond measure. A perfect ending to a year that was good to me.




I begin this year with some new feelings about my life will really be about, what makes home home, and what it means to carve out a space for yourself in this big, ridiculous world.

This past week, although frigid, has been warmed with familiar faces and renewed friendships. It seems a perfect way to start the new year.

5 comments:

tracypakusch said...

I see ice in a wine glass!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday, it all looks so lovely.

Elizabeth Switzer said...

I'm entirely jealous - I wish I could've been there to toast to you! Happiest of New Year's sweet pea! xo

joAnn said...

Tracy, I'll have you know that's Mike's Mountain Dew in a sangria glass :)

Lizz, I hope you had a great New Year's! We always spend it with our brothers ans sisters - it's become a tradition of sorts.

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

These pics are great and it looks so cozy! I can just imagine how awesome the fireworks were from that apartment. So glad we had breakfast yesterday - I totally needed it :) Might have to make it weekly!

joAnn said...

we definitely have to make it weekly!